- 1 Envy™ apple, peeled and diced
- 4 T butter
- 1 lb macaroni noodles
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 4 T flour
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1 cup grated romano
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 T kosher salt
- 1 tsp worcestershire
For the topping
- 2 T butter, melted
- 1 cup panko breadcrumb
- Bring a large pot of salted water (should taste like the ocean) to a boil. Add noodles and cook until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt 4 T butter over high heat and then saute the diced apple until caramelized and tender.
- Sprinkle in flour over top of apples and stir. Cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and milk and bring to a boil, whisking frequently so the milk doesn’t burn on the bottom.
- Once brought to a boil, turn down the heat to low and whisk in the cheese, salt, and worcestershire. Continue to whisk until all of the cheese is melted thoroughly.
- Carefully pour mixture into a large blender (can do in batches if your blender isn’t large enough) and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour cheese sauce over top of noodles and stir. NOTE: depending on how saucy you like your mac and cheese, you may want to use about ¾ of the sauce at first, let it absorb, and then add more sauce if you like it extra cheesey.
- Pour mac and cheese into a 9×13 pan or your desired serving dish (that is oven proof) and spread evenly.
- In a medium bowl, melt 2 T butter and stir in panko bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over top of mac and cheese and broil until golden brown. Be careful not to burn!