- 4 slices Sourdough bread
- 8 slices Brie Cheese
- 2 Envy™ Apples, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup Apple juice
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 Bay leaves
- 8 Sage leaves
- 4 Sprigs of thyme
- 1 Medium onion diced
- 1 Lemon Zested
- 2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar (to taste!)
- 1-2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar (to taste!)
For the Chutney:
- Sautee onions in a neutral oil (canola, grapeseed) until soft and slightly golden
- Add vinegar, bring to a bubble, then add apple, and the rest of the chutney ingredients.
- Bring to bubble, then lower heat and simmer until apples are soft. If all the liquid has absorbed before apples become soft, add water ¼ cup at a time, checking each time liquid is evaporated.
- Taste and adjust the sugar /vinegar / salt until perfect! (apples have varying degrees of sweetness and depth of flavour, so tasting and adjusting is key for the perfect balance)
- Fish out herb stems and mash with masher or process in food processor. Keep it chunky!
For the Sandwich:
- Spread butter on the outside of both slices of bread, make sandwiches
- On the stove, heat pan to medium. Place the sandwiches in the pan one at a time and toast until both sides are golden
- Present dish with chutney on side