- 2LB Envy™ Apples, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 deep dish frozen pie shell
Ingredients for streusel topping
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter cut into ½ cubes
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients (½ cup flour, ¼ cup chopped pecans, 2 tablespoons light brown sugar).
- Stir in the butter with fingertips until it is incorporated and there are
- still some small lumps of butter visible.
- Store streusel topping in the fridge.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter until it is amber in color, stirring often.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, place sliced Envy™ apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla and flour. Then, stir together with a spatula.
- Pour the brown butter over the apples, scraping the skillet with a rubber spatula to incorporate brown butter bits and mix together.
- Place the frozen pie shell on a baking sheet.
- Add a couple cups of the Envy™ apple mix into the shell, gently pressing the Envy slices so you have an even base of apples on the bottom.
- Add the rest of the Envy™ slices and gently press so they all fit nicely. It will be
- heaping, but they will cook down.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375 and then turn the oven down to 350 and continue baking for 35-45 min more until the topping is golden and the apples feel tender when pierced with a fork.
Streusel topping can be made a few days in advance and stored in the fridge until you’re ready to bake.